Thank you for your interest in Facing Race: A National Conference. Race Forward is currently seeking volunteers for Facing Race, the largest multiracial, inter-generational gathering for organizers, educators, creatives, and other leaders. The last Facing Race was Race Forward’s largest ever, with over 1600 attendees, from 7 different countries. Our 2016 conference is expected to be even bigger, and we are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help at this event in exchange for a deeply discounted registration to the conference and special events.
Volunteers are needed for:
- Pre-conference preparation: Bag stuffing, assisting with transporting materials and equipment at the Hilton Atlanta Hotel, phone calls, registration outreach – especially at universities and community organizations.
- Registration/Information: Hall greeters, assisting with general registration and materials distribution to participants and sponsors/exhibitors, staffing information desk, assisting with press registration table.
- Special events support: Assisting with talent and crowd control, greeters, ushers, stage handlers.
- Workshop support: Workshop monitors (help set up, attend session, explain and collect evaluations, assist presenters as needed), interpreting for conference participants or presenters.
- Multi-media support: Assisting with video-taping/tape recording of sessions and interviews as assigned, stage assistance (please note: individuals for multi-media volunteer positions must have prior experience).
- Overall conference support: Supporting staff show office, runners between various areas (including the exhibit hall, registration area and workshop rooms), tracking equipment, copying, etc.
- Fundraising support: Assisting with setup for fundraising asks (envelope distribution, table tents, etc.) and collecting donation envelopes as assigned.
- Participate in one of the largest conferences dedicated to racial justice in the world
- Form networks with individuals from across the U.S. interested in racial justice
- Meet and work with the Race Forward staff and Board
- Receive a letter of confirmation for your participation
Volunteer Requirements: Anyone 18 and older who can provide Race Forward with volunteer services from Thursday, November 10, 2016 to Saturday, November 12, 2016 in exchange for deeply discounted tickets to the Conference and special events.You must be on time, dressed appropriately, and have worked the agreed-upon hours to receive your discount.
Volunteer Registration Fees:
- Anyone who completes a total 20 hours or more will receive a full conference registration (valued at $450), not including a $50 processing fee.
- Anyone who completes a total 10 hours or more will receive 50% discount to their registration fee, not including a $50 processing fee.
Please note: Volunteers are required to attend an orientation session in person or via teleconference. Date and time are to be determined. An on-site orientation is also required at the start of the conference.
Applications are not complete until we receive the $50 application and processing fee. Fee must be paid after submitting this form. If paying by check, it must be received within 15 days of submitting this form. Volunteer spots are limited. We encourage applicants to submit their application as soon as possible.
Applications are open until August 31, 2016. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Make checks payable to: Race Forward
Attn: Volunteer Coordinator
32 Broadway #1801
New York, NY 10004
ONLINE PAYMENTS: Online payment will be offered after completing this form or by clicking here if you've already submitted an application.
If you are selected, you will be contacted to confirm your schedule, so please provide a day and evening phone number and an email address.